Sunday, November 20, 2011

... in books



In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristie from The Story Siren. This meme should be for all of us who want to share their new received, bought or borrowed books from last week.

As many of you know my main source for English books are Amazon and Book Depo. Every year my mum and I agree on the deal that from the middle of November on I am not allowed to buy new books until Christmas. This year we agreed on this deal again but fortunately I ordered some books on Book Depo last weekend. These books will arrive in the next week – hopefully. When they arrive I will share those with you next Sunday. 

source
This week I received two books both by Monica McInerney. She is a wonderful Australian author and she writes books with amazing stories. 

source
Some years ago I bought “A Taste of It” in German and read it three times already. I am one of those bookaholics who loves to have as many books as possible by an author I love and I also want to have them all in the same language. “A Taste for It” is unfortunately out of print but some weeks ago I found it at a second hand bookstore and bought it. It looks as if it is new. Thank you former owner for taking good care of it! I love this story. It is a typical romantic comedy but with a twist at the end and wonderful characters. 

source
The second book I got from Monica McInerney this week is “Those Faraday Girls”. I read this one on my Kindle in Australia this summer and I bought it on Amazon because it is a really good book. My mum pointed out to me that having a book on my Kindle should be the same as seeing it on my shelves but that is just not true. It is not the same. I love to re-read my books which my mum doesn’t. So maybe that is why it is more important to me to own books I love in print. I don’t know.
This story is a family story settled in Tasmania, Australia, New York and Ireland. It tells the story of the Faraday girls (5 sisters) and their father and starts shortly before the youngest sister, Clementine, gets pregnant at a young age. The book deals with a tragic incident that happened in Maggie’s youth (the baby girl of Clementine) and the tragic effects that this incident has on the family. The book is wonderfully written and over 600 pages long but I never thought that the story is to long. The ending came really unexpected to me. I really recommend reading Monica’s books. They all are a wonderful read.

I am really excited to read all your In My Mailbox posts!

5 comments:

  1. I will have to try Monica McInerney's work. The last one looks really good. Thanks for sharing:)I love the deal you make with your mother; maybe I need to start doing the same thing! My whole Christmas list this year is pretty much books.
    -Jenna @ Fans of Fiction (new follower)
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, never heard of this author. Must investigate.

    It is nice that she gave you two of her books. Come visit me as well. Old follower.

    Grace
    Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those books look great! I hope you enjoy them!

    Here's my IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all new to me! A Taste For It sounds like fun!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy reading! I hope you enjoy your books!

    I found you via the IMM linky. I’m a new follower :)
    Rachel Brooks Writes

    ReplyDelete