Thursday, July 3, 2014

...in books



Review
Step Back In Time
by Ali McNamara

 
First sentences:
“Watch it, love!” the London taxi driver calls from his black cab as I dash across the busy road, weaving in and out of the congested lunchtime traffic, and into the nearest coffee shop to order my much-needed caffeine fix.

Summary:
When single career girl Jo-Jo steps onto a zebra crossing and gets hit by a car, she awakes to find herself in 1963. The fashion, the music, her job, even her romantic life: everything is different. And then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living a completely new life in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. The only people she can rely on are Harry and Ellie, two companions from 2013, and George, the owner of a second-hand record store. If she's ever to return from her travels, Jo-Jo must work out why she's jumping through time like this. And if she does make it back, will her old life ever be the same again?
source: Goodreads

My opinion:
If you are reading my blog for a while you will know how much I love Ali McNamara and her books. She is such a lovely person when talking to her via Twitter or E-Mail and I would love to meet her in person one day (just added this to my Bucket List). I first discovered her when her first book From Notting Hill with Love…Actually came out in 2010 and since then she released a new one each year. Every year I storm into my bookstore on the release day, beg the shop assistant to hand me the book, sometimes curse them for not having put them out yet, race home, read the book instantly and after that I’ll feel sorry that I will have to wait another year for Ali’s next book.

See, a huge fangirl when it comes to Ali!

Step Back in Time the story of the Londoner Jo-Jo who is hit by a car when crossing the street and is transported to 1963. Time travel is something that can either be really great or can go terribly wrong with me and thank God, Ali succeeded in making a time travel story highly entertaining.

The characters are just lovely and watching Jo-Jo trying to figure out why she travels in time, how this all happened and why three other people are always there when she jumps in time is just hilarious.

I need to admit that Step Back in Time is my least favorite of Ali’s books but it still was an entertaining read and a story filled with great ideas, lovely characters and a wonderful story. Since Ali started releasing her stories back in 2010 I’ve been following her journey and connect her books to specific periods in my life and even though Step Back in Time will never top Breakfast at Darcy’s (my absolute favorite) I really really want to re-read it again soon.

All of Ali McNamara’s books:
  • From Notting Hill with Love…Actually (read my review here)
  • Breakfast at Darcy’s (read my review here)
  • From Notting Hill to New York…Actually (read my review here)
  • Step Back in Time
  • The third book in the Actually series will be published at the end of 2014
For more information about Ali visit her Blog, her Facebook or Twitter page.

No comments:

Post a Comment