Friday, June 15, 2012

... in books

TGIF is a weekly meme hosted by the amazing Ginger at GReads!
This week she wants to know:
Most Valuable Book:
From your personal collection of books, which ones hold the most value to you - is it signed by the author? or maybe it's your favorite story of all time? Share it with us.

I sadly don’t have any signed books but I have two answers to this week’s question. I couldn’t decide which book to choose and due to the fact that one is German and one English I thought I’ll take them both.

The most valuable German book is Christine Nöstlinger’s Gretchen Sackmeier. I love this book with all my heart! It is basically a YA book because it tells the story of Gretchen and her life from the point where she is 14 to when she is 17 years old. The story starts on the day after her mum’s 15th graduation reunion when she decides to start loosing weight (the members of the Sackmeier family are all overweight) and the impact this has on the family.
I first came in contact with this book when I was about 13 years old on a camp. It was a week full of fun and action and I can’t remember how but I found time to read – probably in the lunch breaks and before bed. We had a small book corner and I was the only one using it but I found the first and third book of Gretchen Sackmeier there. I finished the first during this week and went halfway through the third and when I came home I knew that I had to get these books. Since then I read all three almost every year and still love them as much as when I first read them. Which reminds me that I probably should read it again this summer. 


The second book(s) I value the most is not really one book but a series. When I was a kid (3 ½ years old according to my dad) we were staying at a friend’s house in North Carolina. He had two kids – the girl just a year older than me and a boy who was older but I really can’t remember how much older. It was in the boy’s room where I saw those books for the first time. I am talking about a huge, no enormous collection of Stan and Jan Berenstain’s The Berenstain Bears Books! My parents read them to me I think every night and I need to have some! So I started my own collection and every time my dad went to the States he brought some home and this is how my collection grew in pre-Amazon times. I think the main reason why I treasure them like I do is because they all came directly from the US or maybe because they were the first English books I knew by heart or maybe because the stories were so incredibly good and well drawn. I don’t know! I can only tell you that till today these books never left my shelves and will always stay there. My favorite: definitely Mama’s New Job because my mum is a business-bear wife and mama too.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway 
for a signed copy of Monica McInerney's 
Those Faraday Girls
Only 3 more days!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment