Wednesday, February 6, 2013

...in books



Review
Wanderlove
by Kirsten Hubbard

First sentence:
As soon as I see the blond girl bounching down the aisle, I know she’s heading for the empty seat beside me.

Summary:
It all begins with a stupid question: “Are you a Global Vagabond?”
No, but 18-year-old Bria Sandoval wants to be. In a quest for independence, her neglected art, and no-strings-attached hookups, she signs up for a guided tour of Central America—the wrong one. Middle-aged tourists with fanny packs are hardly the key to self-rediscovery. When Bria meets Rowan, devoted backpacker and dive instructor, and his outspokenly humanitarian sister Starling, she seizes the chance to ditch her group and join them off the beaten path.
Bria's a good girl trying to go bad. Rowan's a bad boy trying to stay good. As they travel across a panorama of Mayan villages, remote Belizean islands, and hostels plagued with jungle beasties, they discover what they've got in common: both seek to leave behind the old versions of themselves. And the secret to escaping the past, Rowan’s found, is to keep moving forward.
But Bria comes to realize she can't run forever, no matter what Rowan says. If she ever wants the courage to fall for someone worthwhile, she has to start looking back.
source: Goodreads

My opinion:
This book was recommended to my by Jana from That Artsy Reader Girl who raved about it. I trusted her recommendation and bought the book.

My parents infected me with the travel bug when I was about 2 years old when I first visited the US. After that my mum and I often accompanied my dad when he had to go to conferences all over Europe and we went to the States and Australia for vacation. I am extremely grateful that I had all these opportunities to see parts of the world and these definitely had a strong influence one me and on my decision to study Geography.

Wanderlove stimulated my little adventurer and rekindled my wanderlust. It also showed me that there are many more places I want to visit one day. I have never been in touch with South America which is a shame and now I really want to go there.

Kirsten Hubbard not only presents wonderful places and things to see in this book, she also shares drawings and wrote a travel story about two people finding themselves and their place in life.

The story and characters are wonderful and it is one of those books that still have me think about it weeks after I read it. If you are a fan of travel stories than read it and if you like a sweet story with personal development and growth of the characters, than go get it. I can highly recommend it.

For more information about Kirsten visit her Homepage, her Blog and her Facebook or Twitter page.

No comments:

Post a Comment