Sunday, December 22, 2013

...Blogmas

Day 22

Welcome to Blogmas!

Every day from December first til Christmas Eve I will post one Christmas related post, giving you gift ideas, tips, recipes, etc. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. 

The German author Erich Kästner (1899 - 1974) wrote many amazing children's book which I love and devoured during my childhood and still do occasionally. One of my favorite's is Das fliegende Klassenzimmer or The Flying Classroom for you English speaking guys out there.


The Flying Classroom is a Christmas story and takes place some days before Christmas in an all boys boarding school in Germany. The main characters are a group of five friends Jonathan Trotz,
Martin Thaler, Matthias Selbmann, or Matz, Uli von Simmern and Sebastian Frank. They are rehearsing a play they want to perform during the school's Christmas celebration on the day before going home over the holidays. The whole story revolves around their friendship, how some decisions influence your life and how important friends are.

I love re-reading this book around Christmas because it sets the mood for the holidays and the story is so wonderfully told. You can almost hear Erich Kästner's voice reading you the story in a quiet and peaceful way. 


To this day the book was made into a movie three times (according to Wikipedia) and I also own the film produced in 1973 on DVD.

If there is one book I truly enjoy every time I read it and during which I always cry, no it's not sad but so beautiful, it is The Flying Classroom.

If you ever have the chance to read an Erich Kästner book do so, I'm sure you won't regret it.
2 Days Till Christmas Eve

No comments:

Post a Comment