Friday, May 3, 2013

...in music

I usually talk about books on the blog but today I want to talk about something different for a change. 
Music!
Music is something that was always present in my family. My dad plays guitar and mandolin and whenever he's at home (and not working) music is floating through the apartment.


I have many memories of holidays I connect with certain CDs, like one trip to Tuscany and the Greatest Hits album by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones or a trip my mum and I took to Tyrol with Bryan Adams' So far So good where we had the car windows down, the music as loud as possible and we were both singing at the top of our lungs – it was so much fun!


My taste in music is pretty broad because I grew up with Jazz, Blues, The Beatles, Eros Ramazotti, Billy Joel, etc. and I was part of the Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls generation. I'm sure you're wondering where this is going, right?

On Wednesday there was something called Pop around the Clock on a German TV channel where they showed 24 hours of different concerts from Queen to Take That and from Paul McCartney to Robbie Williams. I am a huge Robbie Williams fan! 

In 2000 when Sing when you're Winning was released my mum got me concert tickets for my birthday and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. He is a wonderful entertainer and I love his songs, they always accompanied me from 2000 on. I was too young for the whole Take That hysteria but when Robbie started his solo career I was hooked.

Since then I purchased every album but never again been to one of his concerts. In 2004 he was in Vienna again and I really wanted to go but I was away with my youth group during this week and I would have needed to leave a day earlier and I just couldn't do that to my kids. This year he's coming again with his Take the Crown album but I saw it too late and there were no tickets available and they were so expensive too.

But yesterday evening during Pop around the Clock there were 90 minutes of Robbie Williams' Take the Crown tour live from London's O2 arena and it felt like being at the concert. He still is a wonderful entertainer, enjoyed being on stage again and I rediscovered me love for his songs and that I still know all the lyrics by heart.  


Robbie Williams is on my music auto-buy list and I will definitely buy every album he ever produces and still be singing his songs many years from now.

Especially if he continues writing lyrics like: 
I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to. If I stop lying, I'll just disappoint you.
- Come Undone (from the album Escapology)

Do you have a musician/band on auto-buy?
Who's your favorite?
Do you have any recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment