The Strange Case of Finley Jayne
by Kady Cross
London, The Age of Invention, late April 1897
“You're the very spawn of Satan and I'll not have you darken this door ever again.”
Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of science with his automatons and inventions, but Finley is suspicious of his motives where Phoebe is concerned. She will do anything to protect her new friend, but what she discovers is even more monstrous than anything she could have imagined...
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is the prequel to the Steampunk Chronicles and tells the story of Finely’s life before she joins the group of Griffin King.
Finley is not quite normal and this gets her into trouble. She already lost a job due to her darker side but when she is offered the job as a companion of Phoebe, a girl her age soon to be married to Lord Vincent and Phoebe’s mum asks Finley to protect her daughter, Finley’s dark side proofs as a true blessing.
Finley is a wonderful main character. She stands up for what she believes in and even though she tries to fit in she knows that she will never be a part of society and deals with this knowledge the best she can. She soon befriends Phoebe and even though Finley is working for Phoebe’s family she has some sort of friend for the first time in her life. Not only does she have a friend in Phoebe but also her dark side turns out to be quite useful in the end.
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a prequel to the Steampunk Chronicles and I would highly recommend reading it before The Girl in the Steel Corset.
The Books in the Steampunk Chronicles are:
· The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)
· The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) – read my review here
· The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
· The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles, #2,5)
· The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
· The Wild Adventure of Jasper Renn (Steampunk Chronicles, #3,5)
· The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4) expected publication: May 20th, 2014